I can’t quite believe it but my last baking post was actually back in March! Truth to be told, Slimming World doesn’t allow for much indulgent baking – especially because you then want to eat the lot! But I was in London a couple of weeks ago and craving a cupcake. I couldn’t believe the price to buy a single one and knew I could whip up a batch at home for not much more money.
These salted caramel babies are seriously sweet but good god each mouthful is simply heavenly. Nestled in the centre of the cupcake is a pocket of gooey salted caramel with creamy caramel piped on top, finished with a drizzle of a salted caramel sauce and a sprinkling of edible confetti. So bloody delicious! These bad boys will look fab as a centrepiece at a party or even as a gift for friends and family. And the best part? They will take you no time at all to make either.
You will need:
For the cupcakes:
100g softened butter
100g caster sugar
2 large eggs
100g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
100g salted caramel (I used this one)
For the caramel buttercream:
150g softened butter
350g icing sugar
100g salted caramel
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/gas 6.
- Mix together the butter, caster sugar, eggs, flour and baking powder until well blended and smooth.
- Line a cupcake tin with 12 cases and fill with the mixture. Pop in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until well risen and golden.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack. Once cool, dig out a circle on top of each cupcake with a spoon and leave to one side. Fill the hole with the salted caramel and place the circle back on top, sealing it.
- For the buttercream, beat together the softened butter and icing sugar until smooth. Add in the salted caramel and mix until combined.
- Pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes in whatever style you wish before finishing with a final drizzle of caramel and sprinkling of your prefered decorations. I used these.
If you liked this post, why not read: Triple Chocolate M&M cookies