Who doesn’t love Nutella? While I’m not the type who likes to spread it on toast (it just seems weird!), I do love it in a Ferrero Rocher so just had to come with an idea to incorporate the hazelnut spread into my baking. And so we have, my easy Nutella cupcakes!
YOU WILL NEED:
For the cupcakes:3 eggs
220g caste sugar150ml sunflower oil80ml milk150g self raising flour45g cocoa powder
For the buttercream:125g butter180g of Nutella or any hazelnut spread90g icing sugar
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C. Combine the eggs, sugar, oil and milk in a large bowl and give them a mix until smooth. I find this easier with a electric whisk but a wooden spoon does the job just as well!
2) Sift both the flour and cocoa powder into a separate bowl before adding to the cupcake batter a bit at a time until all the ingredients are combined but try not to over mix.
3) Divide the mixture into cupcake cases at an equal size. Don’t worry too much about being neat about this! Then pop into the previously heated oven for 20-25 minutes.
4) When the time is up, insert a skewer or similar and if it comes out clean, your cupcakes are ready to come out the oven! Transfer them to a wire wrack and leave them till they are cool.
5) For the buttercream, add the butter, nutella and icing sugar into a bowl and mix until nice and fluffy. This is the best point to give a little taste I find!
6) Using a piping bag, spoon in your nutella buttercream and pipe whatever design you might fancy onto the cakes. I sprinkled some caramel crunch gave the cupcakes a nice finish but chopped hazelnuts would be also be a perfect finish!
So there you have it, some quick and simple cupcakes for an afternoon treat or even to take along to a party, as I did. I hope you’ve enjoyed this recipe and let me know if you decide to give it ago!