My niece Ava is one and a half years old. My niece Ava loves Frozen. Or rather ‘Fro-Fro’ as she calls it. Obviously she’s too young to actually know what’s going on, but other than Peppa Pig it’s the only thing she will stand and watch transfixed. So these fluffy, yummy cupcakes are inspired by Frozen, for Ava.
You will need:
For the cakes:
100g soft margarine100g castor sugar
100g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
For the buttercream:
175g butter or margarine
350g icing sugar
blue food colouring
1. Preheat your oven to 180 (fan assisted) and line a cupcake tin with about 15 cases.
2. Measure all the ingredients then pour all the cupcake ingredients into a large bowl. Beat this all together until combined and the mixture is smooth.
3. Half fill the cupcake cases with the mixture then pop in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cakes are golden brown and bounce back at the touch. Leave the buns to cool on a wire wrack.
4. Mix the butter and icing sugar together until creamy, then divide the mixture between two bowls and add a drop of food colouring to half of the mixture or enough until it turns a Frozen blue colour (or whatever colour you desire!)
5. Now I used a dual piping bag and nozzle from Lakeland to ice the cupcakes but you could just use one piping bag and smear half the colour down one side of the back and the other side with the other colour.
6. Pipe the icing onto the cupcakes, this might take some time to get right as for me, only half the colour came out at first so we had to push the other colour down but eventually this produces a lovely effect.
7. Sprinkle on any decorations you may wish, I used these Frozen Dazzling Sprinkles to stick to the icy theme. Then voila, you are finished!
I really hope you’ve enjoyed this baking post, they were a lot of fun to make! What have you been baking lately?